“I may not look like a lawyer, but it helps me sneak up on them.”
– David Komie

What should you do if your car catches fire after a crash?

On Behalf of | Jul 3, 2024 | Car Accidents

Experiencing a car accident is already a harrowing ordeal, but if your vehicle catches fire, the situation can escalate into a life-threatening emergency. Being prepared and knowing the correct steps to take in such a scenario is important for your safety and that of others involved. 

Evacuate the vehicle immediately

If you detect smoke or flames, evacuate the vehicle without delay. Unfasten your seatbelt and assist others, particularly children, in exiting the car as quickly as possible. Move to a safe distance, at least 100 feet away, to avoid the risk of inhaling toxic fumes or being injured by a potential explosion. Once you have reached a safe location, dial 911. Clearly inform the operator about the car accident.

Document the incident

If it’s safe to do so, document the incident by taking photographs and videos of the scene, the fire, and any visible damage. This evidence can be helpful for insurance claims and any future legal proceedings. Gather contact information from witnesses and anyone else involved.

Notify your insurance company

Report the incident to your insurance company as soon as possible. Provide them with all relevant details of the accident and the subsequent fire. Your insurance provider will guide you through the claims process and help you understand your coverage.

Contact a car accident attorney

After ensuring everyone’s safety, you should contact a car accident attorney. An attorney can assist you in navigating insurance claims and potential lawsuits. They can also help ensure you receive fair compensation for any damages or injuries you suffer.

Stay safe after a car crash

Knowing how to respond if your car catches fire after a crash will help you stay safe and protect your rights. By reacting quickly and appropriately, you can manage the aftermath of such a traumatic event and reduce the risk of further injury.


FindLaw Network