Let Our Austin Car Accident Attorney Help You
When irresponsible drivers take their attention off the road, the likelihood of an accident occurring drastically increases. According to a statistics reported by the U.S. Department of Transportation in 2012 and 2013, 421,000 people were injured in car accidents due to distracted driving, while 3,154 people were killed.
The common causes of distracted driving include:
- Text messaging
- Talking on the phone
- Adjusting the radio or CD player
- Reading a map or directions
- Grooming activities
- Retrieving an object on the floor
Despite identifying the specific cause of the accident, if a driver’s distraction caused the collision with your vehicle, that particular driver could be held accountable for your injuries and property damage. At David Komie Law, we have over 60 years of combined experience in helping individuals who were involved in automobile accidents as a result of distracted driving.
Texas Laws Regarding Distracted Driving
Even though some types of distracted driving can be a challenge to legislate against, laws have been passed to address both driving while using a cellphone and texting while driving (Texas Code Section 545.425). While Texas doesn’t have a statewide ban on texting for all drivers, a number of cities and counties have established their own bans, such as Austin, Dallas, San Antonio and others.
According to Texas law:
- Drivers aged 18 and under are prohibited from using wireless communication devices while driving
- Drivers who are in the area of school crossing zones are banned from using handheld wireless communication devices
- School bus drivers may not use cellphones while driving if children are occupying the vehicle
- Individual’s with only a learner’s permit are restricted from using handheld cellphones during the first 12 months of driving
Protecting Your Rights
You can rely on our Austin car accident attorneys to thoroughly investigate your accident, procure all necessary evidence and guide you throughout the complex legal system. Working relentlessly to protect your rights, we will seek to obtain the maximum compensation to cover your medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages and emotional distress.
As members of The National Trial Lawyers (2015-2016) and Top 100 Trial Lawyers (2014-2016), we are equipped to handle even the most complex personal injury matters. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning: you do not pay any legal fees unless we win. Let us fight for the justice you deserve!